Stylistically this piece is assertively Regency and very much in the tradition of the shamelessly riotously exuberant style of Regency that predominated at Brighton Pavilion made for George IV when he was regent. It dates from about 1825. However Mr. Sirolli was of the opinion that the green painting was of a later period dating about 1930. It measures 18 inches high, 17 inches wide and 11 inches deep.
The open area of the frame above has a blotter which runs on the rod and which is pulled up by a knob surmounting the pagoda inspired lid.
It also has a candle holder and other standard accoutrements such as inkpots and other small drawers and secret compartments.